Thursday 22 January 2009

morphing into christy turlington


I'll have this cut and colour please. Christy images from Elle magazine via here

Oh ok, not so much. Although I'd very much like to! But I've loved her hair in this photoshoot since the mag came out. In 2002. I've taken a snap to the hairdressers pretty much every time I've been, but it never made it out of my bag. I always chickened out. But the past year I've worn my hair a little shorter, still never past the shoulders, and I thought it's not that much further up the hairline. And it will grow back. And my hair is dark blonde so a darker colour shouldn't be tooo scary....

So, seven years is a long time to make a decision about a haircut and colour change, but I finally did it. I realised I had no major plans for the next while so if it turned into a disaster, noone would see me anyway because I'm always at home and if I did go out, I'd don a hat.


Practically twins! That's me on the left (ha!). Side note: if you're ever feeling too good about yourself, place a pic of yourself next to a supermodel. It's guaranteed to knock your self-esteem down a few notches!

But happily, it's not a total disaster and I love it. More and more every time I look in the mirror. I even want to go darker! There is a (small) point to me posting a pic of me and my hair. I did it for work. The beauty feature in the March issue (out Monday) is all about beauty sceptics. I wondered what I'd do on the web to relate back to it, so figured I'd write about my own little makeover. So, can you guess what I was sceptical about? And what is a little unusual about the process?


A side view. Never had hair this short before. Or dark. Feel like a whole other person! Z even told me "cool hair mummy". He's hilarious.

8 comments:

The House That A-M Built said...

Oh it's fabulous! It REALLY suits your face. Super cool. A-M xx

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your decision, even if it was seven years in the making. I'm sneaking out of the woodworks here, your hair looks terrific.

You never realise how great you can look and feel until you change your hair. Go for it...change the colour, you will just love it.

Karen (Qld)

Romana said...

Nice! I think you could go a little darker if you wanted - the shorter length means your complexion wont be overwhelmed by the darker colour (and it should be easier to care for with the kids).

Anonymous said...

Yay you got the chop like me :D I agree, total hotness. You could go darker, it'll make your blue eyes pop. That said the colour you have now suits your skin and your eyebrows and if you go darker it will take awhile to go back to blonde.

HOT HOT HOT

Lin said...

It looks great! Congrats on being brave!

la la Lovely said...

You brave thing.. I was at the hairdresser today too and had an urge to chop my hair as well but it was a no go. I love your hair! I think it looks super fab!

Salon de Sucre said...

I really like it !! you look so cute!!

Amanda said...

Oh it looks fabulous! I can't believe you chopped it off yourself. I love the colour too. x