Monday 16 February 2009

you can thank us for all the rain and cold...


I'm a fan of my new living room fan. I'm also a fan of the fact I can walk around this room again without tripping over a saucepan or slipping on sawdust! PS: That corner cabinet is usually home to linens and towels. This is until the wall cabinets go up in the kitchen. More on the kitchen tomorrow. PPS: I know I say this a lot, but apologies for crappy quality of images. Turns out, it's a crappy camera, not crappy photography. I know what I want for my birthday this year...

You know how when you wash your car, it rains? Well we had a double whammy: we had bore water installed last week and so it has not stopped raining since. We've used the bore water once. We also had fans installed in all the rooms, hence the wintery weather. And of course, to top it all off, we're all running out of clothes because nothing is drying in the awful weather and we didn't have much to choose from in the first place because I pretty much threw out the entire contents of my wardrobe one "I'm sick of my clothes" day and because the babies grow quicker than I can shop for them. So anyway, you might recall my whinging about the fact my husband wanted a different fan to the modern silver ones we were putting in the bedrooms? Well, I finally got him to the fan shop to choose this "different" fan and this is the result. Steve attempted to choose the bronze version but after headslapping him for such a suggestion, I pointed out the nice black version and SIX WEEKS LATER it finally managed to get attached to the ceiling. So after all my umming and ahhing about whether it'd look weird, it's in and I actually love it! It doesn't have a light on it, so we had wall lights installed on one side of the room and they're all glowy right now and lighting up the room up perfectly. Of course, none of the fan/light installation throughout the house was without drama: wiring in wrong place, no wiring at all, too much wiring, bonus studs and beams, complications in putting fan together... The fun of renovating an old place. Apparently, the previous owners had done some rather strange DIY electrical work. But considering these very same people tiled the back of the bathroom door, I wasn't even slightly surprised at this news! So what do you think of the fan? Fit in ok? We choose the eco version of the Futura Lucci for the bedrooms in the matte silver. They're great - nice and quiet and for fans, look nice too!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As far as fans go it's a winner and isn't marriage all about compromise. Great effort and I thank goodness for the rain as my lawn was gold and crispy.

Anonymous said...

If you could send a bit of that rain and cool weather down Melbourne way that would be great - maybe if I installed bore water that would do the trick! The dark fan against the lightness of the walls looks terrific. Nice choice of fan.

Kate Moore said...

I feel for your renovations during the rain / heat / rain / heat thing we've got going on here. We did a bathroom during the June long weekend storms on '07. A smacking big hole in the middle of the house because floor boards had rotted under the old shower and needed to be replaced, a mud milkshake underneath the house and three days without power. Lucky us though. We had installed a gas shower in the back yard to cope for the two (ended up being five) weeks we were without a bathroom. We were quite possibly the only people in the street having hot showers. And yes, give Steve a good head slap from me too. He knows me. Work link.

The Beautiful Soup said...

Thanks for the fan update!! The living room fan looks gorgeous. I hope my fan installation is less drama filled, but my house is 200 years old so I don't like my odds!!

Unknown said...

Ceiling fans are harder than selecting tasteful items with husbands ... none of them ever seem right until you see them in place! Well done. Gee, you must be tired ...

belinda graham said...

thanks guys!
wow katie - talk about disaster! i've been really lucky. All my dramas are highly exaggerated and so pathetically small compared to some horror stories I've heard. But where is the fun in saying it's all going well? ha!

Katy said...

Hi to all. Congratulation with your new blog
Simvastatin 40 mg tablets & Evista tablets