Wednesday 4 February 2009

is this the world's ugliest kitchen?


The missing door: poor bugga nearly made it. Was hanging on by one tiny nail. But Steve kept forgetting its state and it fell on his foot one time too many and spent its last few days beside the fridge.

It might well have been. But unfortunately it can't claim this distinguished title because it NO LONGER EXISTS!!!! It's sitting all partly smashed up on my front sandpit (what pathetic grass we had has been fried in the heat). And it's never looked better. Even Z is glad to be rid of the "kitchen mess" as he calls it. Gee, do you wonder why I never posted pics of this room? I'm completely embarassed to show this, but seeing that it's all in the past, let's have a laugh, shall we? Yes, I've put up with this for five years. My medal better be in the mail...

A few incredibly exciting facts:

* I painted the doors white when we moved in because I couldn't imagine living with green doors for any amount of time. I did such a crap job, I was wishing for the green to come back.

* The previous owner's son thought himself a handyman. He wasn't. He installed the taps himself did such a bang-up job they didn't work properly. They were replaced numerous times and ground back and had lots of work but no makeover could save the cold one which exploded one day. I'm so used to using warm/hot water for everything I rarely turn the cold water tap on in the bathroom. He also cut a hole too big for the tap nozzle and didn't bother doing anything about it. My non-handyman husband figured expanding filler would do the trick temporarily. It sealed the hole, but, well, look at it! Ugh.

* The tiles are on big sheets of some asbestos-ridden material and weren't the same depth as the rest of the wall, so there was a weird uneven gap no one ever bothered fixing. I don't remember how the piece of wood make its way there but there it is!


Hmm, what's sadder? The contact-covered sheets? The mssing door? The paper towel stuffing the hole where the cold water tap used to be? The lovely aged yellow stains or the fish plug that for some INSANE reason I never replaced??????


One of the delightful tile prints I could admire while cooking. They clearly shopped at the Ugly Tile Shop - same place they got the sunflower tiles that were in my old bathroom!


And another one - I guess they just couldn't decide between the two beauties and chose both...

On a happier note, I did wonder if I was utilising the space enough with the new design. Would I fit everything in? Considering I was ruthless and thew out half the contents of the kitchen cupboards as well, I have a feeling I'll be just fine. Aside from another bag out of sight, this is all I have! I sense a shopping spree coming on!


I started building the cupboards so I had something to store it in. Four packages down, 48 to go...

So I was feeling the pressure with all your "can't wait to see the new kitchen" comments. But I guess, looking at this, anything is going to be a huge improvement isn't it?

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Belinda. Love your blog. You are going to be in heaven when your new kitchen is installed, cooking up a storm.

Anonymous said...

Congrats with your new kitchen. It is gorgeous! You must be so happy now... I can't wait for our new kitchen to be finished!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh,that brings back memories, i had our kitchen in the lounge room too, the joys of renovating, hope you're loving it, look forward to the big reveal.

Lin said...

I think my kitchen was uglier, until I got new doors to tide us through until we can afford a complete reno. It's still pretty ugly, (I reckon my tiles are even uglier than yours!) but that's ok. Good luck with the new kitchen.

Anonymous said...

haha thats hilarious. I noticed you never showed pics of your kitchen (besides the post about your dining table) and now I know why! No wonder you've been so passionate about your kitchen reno. I'll send you a medal! You know it kinda looks like the kitchen they pulled out on Blitz the other night. Oh and even your makeshift kitchen cabinets look trendy, go you good thing!

Unknown said...

Those feature tiles ... they could well make a comeback. Save 'em and sell 'em on ebay in a couple of years and see what happens.

Anonymous said...

we have the same phone!

Catherine said...

That isn't the best kitchen I's have to agree, those tiles....I'm sure you will do something amazing here.

Kelly said...

Love reading your blog as I so completely feel your pain..lol..am in the same situation as you, and I even think my kitchen may outdo yours for worst kitchen ever..seriously! (think pine timber lined ceiling, benches in different finishes).Can't wait to see your new kitchen. Thanks for the inspiration!

The House That A-M Built said...

To be of comfort, I have lived with uglier! Congrats that it is all in pieces and confined to the rubbish dump. Can't wait to follow the journey! A-M xx

Netherfieldmom said...

You go girl--but, I can beat your kitchen, no problema and I've been living in it for six years. We too "are going to do the kitchen soon". Soon as we save up $25,000 or so. We did buy the flooring three years ago (and wonder if we'll still want to use it.) We also have the Euro convection oven and cooktop sitting in the back room, for the past four years...someday

Anonymous said...

YAY your much anticipated kitchen reno moment has arrived! when i think back to what our kitchen looked like before it became a bedroom, i think how could this house have been an appealing buy???
cant wait to see it all finished and i hope you are reusing those tiles??!!!

CityHomeGirl said...

Where's the final result?! I need a kitchen make-over like no one else. I found a kitchen contest that I really would love to participate in, since my kitchen doesn't stand a chance, I'm passing this opportunity on...
http://www.chdmag.com/best-kitchen-contest